Sunday, April 15, 2012

More on Stage Fright

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c4845f0282/stage-fright

I moved to Brooklyn last July and afterwards I took a couple of production jobs here and there and also started interning. Meanwhile, I was still editing "Roommates" off-an-on until September when editing was finally complete. In the meantime, I had been inching to get back behind the camera and I told Chris in November, who was a co-producer of "Roommates," that I was thinking about going back to State College to shoot this short film. That's how Stage Fright was born.

Stage Fright really just started as an idea I had for years and years, I just never thought about actually going out and making a short film about the fear of urinating in a public restroom until late last year. But I always had the idea of a man actually imagining himself in front of a stage trying to pee in front of a large audience. I remember talking this idea at length to some of my family members during last Thanksgiving. What's amazing to me is how closely the short film is to my original idea. It's almost exactly what I originally had in mind and I look at Stage Fright as very much a step in the right direction for me. Not only in terms of style, but in terms of collaboration.

What's funny though is that I really started to think about this film when I started watching a handful of Louis CK's short films that he made back in the mid-late '90s. I'm a huge Louis CK fan and so these short films were quite a discovery for me. They're almost all on youtube (I posted some of them below). But he takes really simple ideas and just puts an eccentric spin to them and that really just put a giant light bulb over my head. Suddenly, I have tons of short film ideas that I'm waiting to tackle. So thanks Louie.





No comments:

Post a Comment